2nd January - Biggleswade United 1 AFC Dunstable 0

A controversial penalty award in the 90th minute, saw AFC slip to a defeat, which has seen them pick up only one point from their last 3 league games and not register a goal in that time.

After the disappointment of the goalless draw on Bank Holiday Monday, the team put in a much better performance and deserved at least a draw from the game. In front of an excellent crowd of 303, the game was played at a pretty decent pace. The 1st half was all blood and thunder as both teams sounded each other out. With the defences mainly on top, chances were few are far between. The home side had the chance to take the lead, when a Tom Cookman drive flashed across the AFC goal. Next up AFC's BJ Christie broke clear but Martos was quick off his line to deny him.

Half time: Biggleswade United 0 AFC Dunstable 0

With the heavens opening to greet the players for the 2nd half, it was the visitors who started the quicker and pressure was being applied. Jason Beck came close with a strike at goal on 53 minutes but screwed it wide. Then Martos made a save from Christie a minute later.

The hosts then had an excellent chance for the breakthrough but Ajeakwa could not get on the end of a Cookman cross, with 15 minutes left on the clock.

With the game looking like it would end in a stalemate, the referee decided to award the home side a penalty. What seemed like a pretty innocuous coming together between Brandon Carney and Cookman, the Biggleswade striker fell to the ground and to the amazement of the AFC players the official pointed to the spot. From the resulting kick, AFC keeper Ricky Perks got his hands to the ball but in the wet conditions it slipped into the net. To the joy of the home side, the referee blew his whistle for full time minutes later.

AFC manager Steve Heath at the end of the game said " whilst we put in much more effort than on Monday, we still have come away with no points. I have a bad taste in my mouth by an apology I received at the end of the game over the penalty decision but I do not want to dwell on that too much. I thought for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we created a few decent chances but at the moment they are just not going in. I think if we had scored then, it might have been a different result" 

AFC Team: Perks. Massay. N.Carney. Beck. Cashman. Jones. Darby. Olaleye. Christie. Humbert. Hall. Subs used. B.Carney. Gorman. Crowys.

Attendance 303.

Go to top