12th March - AFC Dunstable 5 Oxhey Jets 1

For the second game in a row, AFC had to come from behind and for the second game in a row, their opponents goal was a screamer.

For the first time in many months, the game was played in brilliant sunshine. The pitch, which saw a County Cup Final on it the night before, held up well as it registered its 90th game of the season.

Two changes were made from the midweek victory, as Nathan Frater came in for Leon Cashman. In goal Ricky Perks picked up a slight knock, so Gary Malone was recalled. 

With Oxhey playing in green due to a colour clash, they were determined to give everything as they fight relegation. Saying that though, the hosts nearly took the lead in the 2nd minute when BJ Christie struck the upright. Looking to open the scoring, AFC continued to push forward as they applied the pressure. On 15 minutes that was to change, as with their first attack the visitors opened their account. Greg Usher picked up the ball 20 yards from goal and struck a sweet shot that gave Malone no chance.

A minute later AFC had the opportunity to draw level. When Christie slipped past Tyler Connor on the bye line, he seemed to be clipped on his way and the match official pointed to the spot. Connor picked up a yellow card as did Warren Gladdy who did not agree with the decision. With Cashman not on the pitch, Frater took responsibility with the spot kick. His strike was a nice height for Davis Boetang who saved. Frater had a 2nd bite at the cherry but blasted over the rebound.

Hopefully this would not be a sign for a bad day at the office. It was not as Humbert chased down a lost cause and set up Christie to draw AFC level on 25 minutes. Frater was soon to make amends for his miss 7 minutes later, when he latched onto a Massay pass and fired home from 25 yards.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 2 Oxhey Jets 1

The home side started the 2nd half on the front foot and thought they had extended their lead a minute into it. A Jermaine Hall shot was well saved by Boetang and Humbert was on hand to head home. It was cancelled out though for offside. He was not to be denied 2 minutes later. Somehow Boetang kept out 3 shots on his goal but could not keep out the 4th when Humbert fired home from close range.

With the lead now 3-1 and with the Beds Senior Cup Final coming up on Tuesday, AFC boss Steve Heath decided to replace Christie for Brandon Carney and Olaleye for Roy Byron. Carney made on instant impact as he should have scored with his first touch. He was not to be denied with 10 minutes left. Charlie Gorman defence splitting pass set him up and he rounded the keeper to make it 4-1.

The best goal of the game was left to Hall to score with 86 minutes gone. He picked up the ball 15 yards from goal and looped the ball over 2 defenders before placing the ball in the net.

So 11 league games to go, AFC went past the 70 point mark and Heath was pleased with the performance saying " after a tough game on Tuesday, we knew Oxhey would give everything. They have picked up a couple of wins recently as they look to stay in the Premier Division. It was nice to play the game in good conditions and I thought my players responded well after going a goal behind"

AFC Team: Malone. Massay. N.Carney. Morgan. Griffiths. Olaleye. Gorman. Hall. Christie. Humbert. Frater. Subs used. B.Carney. D.Jones. R.Byron. Subs not used. Cashman. Perks.

Scorers: Christie (25). Frater (32). Humbert (48). B.Carney (80). Hall (86)

Go to top