9th August - AFC Dunstable 4 Histon 0

The home side turned in a stunning performance, as they swept aside a Histon side that just could not cope with their attacking flair. Two goals in each half would be the Stutes downfall, as they struggled to contain the AFC midfield and forward line. The only sour note of the night, was to see AFC's left back Newman Carney turn up on crutches, as he fractured a bone in his foot at the back end of Saturdays win over Uxbridge.

So with Carney's injury, a change had to be made. Leon Cashman slotted into the back four, in a uncustomary position for him at left back. Also back was BJ Christie and Jonathan Cooper, who both took their places on the bench.

The OD's were on the front foot straight from the kick off. Moving the ball crisply, the visitors were finding it difficult to cope with the movement. After only 8 minutes, Jermaine Hall drew a smart save from Histon's Nial Conroy, who was going to be a busy man all night. 

AFC continued to press and when from a corner, a powerful Jason Beck point blank header somehow found it's way into Conroy's hands. The breakthrough came 14 minutes into the half, when an attack was partially cleared by Histon but the loose ball was drilled home by Tom Silford.

The hosts had the ball in the net again on the half hour. A one two passing move saw Roy Byron get on the end of it but he had strayed offside. AFC were now in full flow as keeper Ricky Perks was mainly a spectator. It was looking like the home side would have to happy with a single goal lead at the break. This was not to be as Hall curled in a sublime strike to make it 2-0.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 2 Histon 0

Probably not expecting to keep up the same intensity as the 1st half, this was to be at the start of the half. Histon made a couple of changes and they started to see more of the ball. Their possession though could not be channeled into creating any meaningful chances. 

On the hour, the hosts decided to step up to the mark again. That man Hall was again the protagonist. As a flighted ball came into the box, his cute header came back off the cross bar.

AFC were now looking comfortable as the defence quelled anything Histon could muster. It was now time for 2 changes. On came Christie and Cooper for Silford and Brandon Carney with 20 minutes remaining. It did not take long before Christie made his mark. As Cameron Watson dallied on the ball, Christie swiftly outpaced him, rounded Conroy and slotted home coolly on 78 minutes.

The home side were now once again turning up the heat. A flowing move nearly made it 4-0 when Byron at the far post could just not make contact with the ball. AFC did not have to wait long for their 4th, when Christie set up Hall with 4 minutes remaining. Hall, who was giving Histon the runaround all evening, came so close to securing his hat trick but his shot was blocked.

So 2 wins from 2 games in their debut in the Southern League, AFC manager Steve Heath was delighted with the performance saying " the lads tonight were outstanding. I know Histon are having a lean time of it at the moment, but you can only concentrate on your own game. Next up is a tough encounter with Marlow on Saturday. The lads will be buzzing but it is only 2 games into the season and I will need to keep them focused"

Team: Perks. Massay. Cashman. Griffiths. Beck. Byron (Darby 84). Silford (Cooper 69). Olaleye. Hall. Humbert. B.Carney (Christie 69). Subs not used. Kissiedu. Hankins.

Scorers: Silford (14). Hall (43, 86). Christie (78)

Attendance 77

Go to top