1st October - Aylesbury 2 AFC Dunstable 2

An incorrect call by a linesman, robbed AFC of all 3 points, after they recovered from going 2-0 down early in the game. It was the 93rd minute, when all AFC's pressure should have paid off when Jermaine Hall head home, only to be denied by a wrong flag. It seemed the referee was happy with the goal but took his linesman's advice and chalked it off. Footage from the game clearly shows Hall was not offside.

After 19 minutes, when Aylesbury scored their 2nd goal, AFC would have been delighted with a share of the spoils. In the end it felt like 2 points dropped.

After the indifferent display against Bedford Town on Tuesday, AFC boss Steve Heath decided to ring the changes and made 4 of them. It did not seem to be working, as the Moles drew first blood after only 3 minutes with a wonderful volley from Kieran Turner.

The home side continued to dominate and when Jason Beck slipped on the slick surface, it put Turner in again. It looked like he had scored his 2nd. James Bishop got back on the goal line but he slipped and handled the ball which was over the line. To make sure Jon Montgomery put away the rebound.

More controversy. The same linesman flagged for the handball, so the referee disallowed the goal, awarded Aylesbury a penalty and sent off Bishop. Mark Lambert coolly stroked away the spot kick.

So down to 10 men and a massive mountain to climb, Aylesbury continued to press and if it was not for Ricky Perks in the AFC goal, it could have been 4-0. With the OD's still all over the place, their luck seemed to be changing on the half hour. A rash challenge by Montgomery on Moses Olaleye saw him pick up a straight red.

This seemed to perk up the visitors. For the remaining 10 minutes of the half, they started to exert a bit of pressure themselves as a few Newman Carney free kicks were put in dangerous areas. Then on the stroke of half time, another Carney free kick was headed into his own net by Jordan Jenkins.

Half time: Aylesbury 2 AFC Dunstable 1

So with the life line of a late late goal, AFC were a completely different team in the 2nd half. Heath decided to make changes and for 80% of the 2nd period, they lay siege to the Moles goal. The OD's came at Aylesbury in waves and when Josh Humbert set up BJ Christie on 64 minutes, it looked like there would be only one winner. Chance after chance were created but AFC just could not find the target. 

Perks though had to be called into action once again to make a low save from Dylan Cascoe. Then a great chance from 5 yards out for AFC, was blasted over the bar by Brandon Carney.

With the 90 minute mark on the clock passed, the referee found 8 minutes of injury time from somewhere. In the 3rd minute of the added time, this is when the goal that should of been was not to be.

An emotional Heath at the final whistle said "that 1st half performance was just not good enough. I was embarrassed by it and so should the players be. We gave Aylesbury far too much room and they will feel they should have been out of sight by half time"

On the offside goal he said "at the time, I thought Jermaine kept himself onside. Then seeing the footage (below) the linesman made an horrendous mistake. You could question 3 players were playing him onside but definitely 2. Then when I questioned him about it at full time, there was no leeway in his decision, he thought he was 100% correct to the extent he wanted to draw me a diagram. What of, I am not quite sure"

AFC Team: Perks. Bishop. N.Carney. Beck. Bailey (Massay 55). Cox (Murphy 77). B.Carney (Mannion 60). Olaleye. Hall. Humbert. Christie. Subs not used. Griffiths. Byron.

Scorers: Jenkins 45(OG). Christie 64.

Attendance 90


Go to top