28th August - Thame United 0 AFC Dunstable 5

After a half decent performance on Saturday, AFC turned on the style 2 days later, as they registered a fine result, which did not flatter them at all.

Coming up against newly promoted Thame United who won the Hellenic Premier Division last season, they had no answer to the visitors flowing football and lethal finishing.

A couple of changes were made from Saturday, as both James Bishop and Danny Murphy both started their first games of the season. They replaced Lee Close and Christian Tavernier.

Knowing from their own experience regarding winning a step 5 league, AFC knew Thame would be confident, as champions normally hit the ground running at the next level. They needed to be on their guard and they got off to the dream start. Nathan Frater picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and unleashed an unstoppable drive that found the top corner.

The visitors continued to look the more likely to increase their lead, as Jermaine Hall had two good chances to extend it.

With half an hour passed, Hall was not to be denied when he did open his account for the day. Good work by Courtney Massay picked him out and he finished well. Hall only had to wait another 2 minutes to double his tally. This time Nathan Frater fed him in the box and once again he finished.

Half time: Thame United 0 AFC Dunstable 3

With a very good opening half under their belts, the OD's knew the hosts would come out more determined to put things right. This was the case for the opening 10 minutes, as they exerted a bit of pressure. The game was all but over though as the hour approached. Yet again another Massay assist was the result, as his fine strike hit the post and Louis Bircham was on hand to put away the rebound.

If the home side thought AFC would take their foot off the gas, they were wrong. Nathan Frater, who was having a great game, skipped around Thame's sub defender and was tripped in the box. This was a chance for Hall to complete his hat trick, which off course he did for his 2nd in 4 league games, to take him to 7 so far this season.

It was time for AFC boss Steve Heath to make some changes, as they finally knew the game was won. The hosts went all out for a consolation and had a couple of decent chances to get one. Firstly Jamie Head made a full length save to keep them at bay, then a long ranged effort just cleared his bar.

AFC Team: Head. Massay. Carney. R.Frater (Griffiths 68). Morgan. Bishop. Murphy. Olaleye (Close 68). Hall (Silford 75). Bircham. N.Frater. Subs not used. Mannion. Tavernier

Scorers: Hall (29.31.67p). N.Frater (8). Bircham (61)

Attendance 103

Go to top