26th December - AFC Dunstable 1 Thame United 0

A BJ Christie goal, midway through the 2nd half, was all that separated two of the in form teams in the league. Thame were boasting a 8 match unbeaten run, of which the last 4 were wins included scoring 4 goals in their last 3. AFC were also unbeaten in 8 with 7 wins and a draw. 

With such great form from both sides, the game in the end was a tense affair, with chances few and far between.

The hosts went into the game with the same starting X1 as the Fleet Town game on Saturday. The bench had more players on it, as James Bishop was available again and the returning Brandon Carney after his transfer from Barton Rovers. Bill Morgan, Ryan Frater and Louis Bircham were still missing due to injury. It was good to see Danny Murphy back warming up with the squad before the game, so hopefully he will not be far away.

With both teams having potent striking line ups, it was a case for both outfits to try and get the ball to them as quick as possible. With Thame having Dan West and Lynton Goss in their line up, they had chalked up 29 goals between them. In the end it was mainly the two defences that came out on top.

The only real gilt edged chance in the first half was when AFC's BJ Christie got behind the visitors defence. As he only had Nathan Frater in the penalty area to pick out, they got their wires crossed and the chance had gone.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 0 Thame United 0

The 2nd half was pretty much a copy of the 1st. Both teams giving everything but AFC were seeing more of the ball. On 54 minutes Terry Griffiths nearly gave AFC the lead. A cross to the far post found the defender but Craig Hill in the Thame goal pulled off a smart save to deny him.

The breakthrough finally came on 67 minutes. A neat one two between Christian Tavernier and Nathan Frater saw the ball make its way into the danger area. Christie was on hand to prod the ball home from close range.

While there was only one goal between the two sides, AFC were keeping Thame at arms length. Then on 85 minutes that could have all changed. A late challenge by Brett Longden was deemed dangerous, which saw him receive a red card which seemed to shock everyone.

This gave Thame encouragement as they piled all they had on the AFC goal. Without really testing Jamie Head the OD's keeper, the hosts held on to take the points and retain 2nd place in the league.

Go to top