17th March - AFC Dunstable 2 Northwood 0

AFC fought through the blizzards, to register another 3 points in their play off quest. A pitch inspection was needed at 11am and the pitch was surprisingly in good condition. So with local referee Alex Rayment venturing out, he has no hesitation in passing the pitch. The club would like to thank Alex for waiving his fee.

So as kick off approached, the match referee just wanted some lines brushed and requested an orange ball. The rush was now on to purchase said balls and once secured the game got under way.

The first real chance of the game fell to AFC's Terry Griffiths on 11 minutes but Northwood keeper Xavi Comas saved comfortably.  Louis Bircham was next to test Comas 8 minutes later but again he was up to the test.

A fine AFC move resulted in their opener when Nathan Frater fired home on the half hour. The lead was nearly doubled soon after when Bircham struck the visitors upright.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 1 Northwood 0

With the wind still blowing and the snow falling, the conditions were not letting up. The hosts keeper Jamie Head was called into action to keep out a Jermaine Osei effort.

On the hour AFC's lead should have been doubled. From a corner, Jermaine Hall's shot was blocked on the line, then Griffiths effort from the clearance hit the post. Eight minutes later Drew Roberts had a golden chance to extend AFC's lead but failed to find the target.

Finally the home sides pressure paid off as from another corner, BJ Christie swept the ball home. With the points secured, it gave the chance for 19 year old Sam McCelland to experience Southern League football, when he made his debut as a late sub. It was great reward for the U21 player, who has captained his team to top of the SSMFL Development Division and a Bedfordshire Intermediate Cup final.

Team: Head. Longden. Carney. R.Frater. Morgan. Griffiths. Tavernier. Bircham (Olaleye). Christie (McCelland). Hall (Roberts). N.Frater. Subs not used. Cashman. Blackman.

Go to top