10th March. Tring Athletic 1 AFC Dunstable 2

AFC finally got back into action, after the abandoned game at Hertford Town and Saturday's visit to Sun Sports being called off.

After sharing the spoils with Tring a couple of weeks ago at Creasey Park, when Tring turned in an impressive display, this time the visitors knew what to expect and mainly controlled the game for long periods. It was also nice to see AFC finally seeing a game go their way, as in the final stages getting the rub of the green with a late goal.

With influential Leon Cashman not available, AFC have also lost Fabio Bufano for the rest of the season through injury. It was a chance for AFC boss Steve Heath give Josh Humbert his full debut, after his move from Colney Heath. AFC started the game the stronger as they saw plenty of the ball. They took the lead on 12 minutes, when George Biggadike was in the right place at the right time to turn home the ball after a goalmouth scramble.

They continued to press forward without really testing Jack Hopwood in the Tring goal. Ricky Perks AFC's custodian was also not really tested, as all he had to do was field a couple of back passes.

Half time. Tring Athletic 0 AFC Dunstable 1

Tring decided to step up the pressure after the break as they competed alot better. It was becoming a midfield battle as chances were few and far between. It seemed AFC had control of the game but then the referee gave a strange free kick to Tring on 70 minutes. Chris Vardy's free kick took a wicked deflection off Biggadike which wrong footed Perks. So an own goal drew the hosts level.

Heath decided to introduce Chris Francis and straight away he started causing Tring's back line problems. His first chance saw him break clear but his strike hit the post. He then drew a smart save from Hopwood as AFC went looking for the winner. With 5 minutes left on the clock, Jermaine Hall was tripped on the edge of the box. Newman Carney sent in a great free kick to the far post and Grant Fryer was on hand to head home bravely.

With Wayne Mills being stretchered off, a good 10 minutes was added on and Tring went all out to try and salvage something from the game. The back line of AFC held out to pick up a valuable 3 points as they look to secure 2nd spot in the league.

Heath was happy with the desire the team showed, after the terrible antics they had to endure at Hertford. " the team played their hearts out tonight and I thought we deserved the points on chances created alone. We restricted Tring to mainly scraps and even their goal was scored by us. I hear our winner had a bit of fortune to it regarding Grant being offside, but maybe, at last our luck is changing". He continued " I was impressed with Tring at Creasey Park and knew we were in for a tough game tonight. We needed to match their hard work, which we did not do at home"

Go to top