Home Page
NEW SEASON 2007-2008
Forthcoming Events
Vacancies At AFC Dunstable
Message Board & Latest News
Sponsorship Packages For 2007-08
Website Sponsor
FA Charter Community Club
1st Team
Reserve Team
Under 18's
Under 16's
Under 14's
Under 13's
Under 12's
Under 11's
Under 10's
Under 10's (Saturday)
Under 9's
Under 8's
Under 7's
Veterans Team
Disability Football
Girls Football
Presentation 2008
AFC Dunstable Committee
Team Managers
1st Team Squad
Club Sponsors
Club History & Honours
Senior Trophy Final 2006-07 Picture Gallery
Senior Trophy Final 2007-08 Picture Gallery
1st Team Archive 2006-07
1st Team Archive 2005-06
25th Anniversary
20th Anniversary
Picture Gallery
To Contact Club.
Directions To Ground.
AFC Dunstable At Wembley Stadium
Tour 2007
Senior Presentation 2007
Youth Presentation 2007
Code Of Conduct
Disciplinary Procedure
Development Plan
Soccer - Parent
Equality Policy
Child Protection Policy
Visitors To This Site

Reserve Team

Members Of The Molten Spartan South Midlands Reserve Division Two East

Click on the links below for;

All Results & Fixtures

SSMFL Reserve Division Two East League Table

League Fixtures & Results Grid

Reserve Challenge Trophy

Bedfordshire Intermediate Cup Draw

Match Reports;

Saturday 12 April 2008

AFC Dunstable 5 61FC 1

The final game of the season that would see us finish 5th in the league irrespective of the result.

However a good game was in store as the team looked to play football as much as possible and took an early lead through Kev Taylor within 5 minutes. The only surprise was that 61FC equalised with their only shot in the first half but good golas followed from Kev Taylor and Dan Lidedn to lead 3-1 at half time.

Steve Howorth playing in goal had to make a couple of good saves prior to Jon Cook scoring from an excellent free kick although Ross Morrissey was desperately trying to clai he got a touch - no chance !!! The goal scoring was completed when Tom Lawlor finish off a good move from close range.

Team: Howorth, McGann, Scott, O'Brien, Cook, Brogan, Lawlor, Morrissey, Taylor, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs used: Palmer, Hutchings D.

Scorers: Taylor (2). Lidden. Cook. Lawlor.


Tuesday 8 April 2008

AFC Dunstable 2 Crawley Green 3

Looking to secure 4th place agianst a team who has already beaten us twice was never going to be easy especially when we had only 11 players available.

The first twenty minutes were very positive and Kev Taylor opened the scoring with a speculative shot that the keeper got all wrong. Even worse the keeper dislocated his finger and had to go off.

After half an hour a foul by Callum Scott resulted in a penalty to Crawley but this was blocked by an excellent save by Karl Fisher. However 5 minutes later after a poor clearance by the defence Crawley equalised.

The second half was disappointing as Crawley excerted more pressure and scored twice midway through the half. Only a consolation goal from Sheehan with 5 minutes remaining made the score line more respectable.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, Scott, O'Brien, McGann, Brogan, Lawlor, Morrissey, Taylor, Lidden, Doherty.

Scorers: Taylor. Lidden.


Saturday 5 April 2008

AFC Dunstable 5 Totternhoe 1

An end of season game against our local rivals saw us dominate the first half going in with a 4-0 advantage. Goals from Gary Palmer (2), Kevin Taylor and a penalty from captain marvel Keiran Mallett set us on the way.

A sloppy goal conceded in the second half meant drastic action by the management and they immediately pulled on the former Malta international Dale Hutchino to make an impact. This was the perfect answer to a dwindling team performance as he controlled the game from midfield and created chance after chance for the forwards. Then with pure class and foresight he picked out Sheehan form 45 yards and he finished off with a good strike to make it 5-1.

Totternhoe had no answer to the magic of the Maltese cross and Dale Hutchino fully deserved the man of the match award after the game. However this was over shadowed by the news that the inpirational captain Keiran Mallett will be in plaster for 3 months after a poor tackle caused his knee to collapse.

Dale Hutcino has agreed to take over the captaincy for the remaining two games and said he is as proud to captain the team as he did with Malta in the 1960 World cup.

Team: Fisher, McGann, Hewitt, Scott, Mallett, Brogan, Lawlor, Lidden, Taylor, Wilson, Palmer.

Subs used: Cook. Hutchino.

Goalscorers: Palmer(2). Taylor. Mallett. Lidden.

Tuesday 1 April 2008

AFC Dunstable 1 Brache Sparta 4

Following the top two teams losing at the weekend this was our chance to get back to top two finish.

It was certainly a game of two halves as we dominated the first 45 minutes going up the slope and against the breeze.

After hitting the post, it was Aaron Wilson who picked up a loose ball from 40 yards out and with the keeper off his line struck a magnificant shot to score what was a well deserved goal.

Going in at half time there was a confidence that the players could go on an achieve an excellent win. The performance was good for 15 minutes and we almost scored again from a corner. However a howler by Lee Hewitt on the edge of our box let their centre forward through to equalise. This goal seemed to dramatically affect the players and we conceded 3 more goals in a twenty minute spell and effectively end our season.

We now have 3 games remaining to secure third place.

Team: Fishet, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, Scott, Doherty, Lawlor, Lidden, Cook, Wilson, Palmer.

Subs Used: Taylor. Brogan.

Scorer: Wilson.


Saturday 29 March 2008

Totternhoe Rangers 1 AFC Dunstbale 3

The shortest distance to travel for an away game at neighbours Totternhoe saw us looking to get back to winning ways.

The conditions were extremely poor with strong cold winds, rain and a very poor playing pitch.

However the spirits were high as we started with two youngsters in the centre of midfield in Tom Lawlor and Reese Brogan (making his first full debut).

It was AFC Dunstable who started the better and created the early openings. It was not a surprise when we took the lead after 8 minutes with Kev Taylor finshing off a good move. Then it was Kev Taylor who doubled our advantage when an excellent ball from Tom Lawlor set him free to finish well inside the box.

AFC Dunstable continued to push forward and after 30 mins it was Kev Taylor getting on the end of a good cross from Aaron Wilson at the far post to complete his hat trick.

A dubious penalty award just before half time gave the home team some hope going in with a two goal deficit.

The second half was made even more difficult as the wind and rain got worse and although AFC did create chances these were not converted and the team were happy to get back in the changing room with all 3 points secured.

Team: Fisher, Scott, Howorth, O'Brien, Hutchings J, Doherty, Lawlor, Brogan, Taylor, Lidden, Wilson.

Subs Used: Mallett. Hewitt. Palmer.

Scorer: Taylor (3).


Saturday 22 March 2008

AFC Dunstable 0 Biggleswade Utd 2

The game was in doubt up until the kick off due to the high winds and snow that had come during the Easter weekend.

However having passed the pitch fit it was AFC Dunstable who kicked down the slope with the gale force wind behind them hoing to take an advantage into the second half.

However, the number of clear cut chances created were minimal and we did not really threaten the away goalkeeper. In fact a couple of good chances late in the second half could have caused us embarrassment if the Biggleswade forward had been on target.

Turning around all square, it was a daunting task in the second half and we conceded the first goal after 20 minutes when they were quick to break out and the centre forward finished well.

AFC continued to push for the equaliser and atempted to play football. More chances were created and Dan Lidden was unlucky with a header from a corner and Arnie and Kev Taylor both put good opportunities wide of the post.

The game was finally sealed in the last minute when Biggleswade added their second.

Team: Cox, Hewitt, Hemmings, O'Brien, Kinloch, Taylor, Harnaman, Lidden, Cook, Wilson, McCarthy.

Subs Used: Lawlor. Howorth. Doherty.
Saturday 8 March 2008

AFC Dunstable 2 Broxbourne 2

Moving into the final stage of the season, this home game was important in respect of playing the league leaders plus securing a top two finish.

In very windy conditions, it was AFC who faced a stiff breeze in the first half and were unlucky not to score when Sheehan controlled a good through ball on his chest only for the keeper to save well and for Sheehan to strike the rebound over the bar.

Broxbourne had some good spells in the first half and showed good movement off the ball. Then midway through the first half it was Broxbourne who took the lead with an excellent strike from the edge of the box giving Paul Bacon no chance in goal.

Clealy motivated by the half time management talk, it was AFC who looked more dangerous but were unable to get a deserved equaliser. Then with Lewis Hutchings being forced to come off with a bad leg injury, it was Reese Brogan who went pass a Broxbourne defender in the box only to be brought down unfairly. Sheehan calmly stepped up to score from the penalty spot to equalise.

Things got even better with 10 minutes remaining as Kev Taylor was first to react in the 6 yard box to head home for AFC to lead for the first time.

This appeared to jolt Broxbourne into full attack looking for an equaliser and it came with a few minutes remaining as a good goal line header from Chris Hemmings fell to a striker on the edge of the box and he finished off with a good strike.

The game finished off alll square and probably a fair result overall.

Team: Bacon, Fisher, O'Brien, Howorth, Kinloch, Taylor, Hutchings L, Harnaman, Cook, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs used: Scott, Brogan, Hemmings.

Goalscorers: Lidden (pen). Taylor.


Saturday 1 March 2008

AFC Dunstable 5 Caddington 0

The lads were looking at bouncing straight back after the disappointing mid week defeat.

The game started well for AFC who looked to play passing football in windy conditions. We took a deserved lead after 10 minutes following a good corner from Kev Taylor which Tom Lawlor scored from 6 yards. The lads continue to push for a second goal and were rewarded from another Kev Taylor corner that was again finished from close range by Dan Lidden.

The game was affectively over when an attacking run from Lewis Doherty playing at full back was ended by a late tackle in the box and a penalty was awarded. Nobody could get the ball of Lewis and he calmly struck home the penalty. The lads deserved the 3-0 half time lead.

The second half continued very much in similar fashion to the first and two more goals were added by some good finishing by Dan Lidden to complete his hat trick. In between a penalty was awarded against AFC following a missed timed tackle by Callum Scott in the box. However Karl Fisher stepped up to the mark with a fine save with his feet.

A good win for the reserves as they go into a crucial two match run against the top two teams in the league.

Team: Fisher, Doherty, Scott, O’Brien, Cook, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Howells, Taylor, Lidden, Maggott.

Subs used: Mallett. Brogan. Howorth.

Scorers: Lidden (3). Doherty. Lawlor.


Tuesday 26 February 2008

AFC Dunstable 0 Royston Town 5
(Played at Royston Town)

This was always going to be a much tougher encounter than the 3-0 victory earlier in the season. The Royston form was excellent over recent months as they had attracted new first team players and hence fielded a much stronger reserve team.

Our plight was not helped by the league asking us to play our home game away during midweek plus we had three key defenders missing through injury or holiday.

The game was less than 2 minutes old when Royston secured their first corner and scored with a weak header from the edge of the box. AFC battled hard during the next 20 minutes but could not create a good opening. Then Royston doubled their lead with a quick break from midfield. Kev Taylor had a good header saved just before half time but in truth Royston missed two excellent chances before the break.

In the second half, AFC continued to fight for a goal and Lewis Doherty should have pulled one back as he had only the goalkeeper to beat from 6 yards and put the ball wide.

Royston continued to push forward and scored three more goals to finish off a thoroughly deserved victory.

Team: Fisher, McGann, Fisher, Scott, Cook, Hutchings L, Howells, Lawlor, Taylor, Wilson, Doherty.

Subs used: Mallett. Maggott. Brogan.


Saturday 23 February 2008

AFC Dunstable 2 Kent Athletic 1

An important home game against a side we had already beaten twice as we push for a top two place in the league.

A full squad to choose from meant we were able to name 5 subs on the bench. The strong wind did not help our usual passing game and it was a goalkeeping mistake by the Kent’s keeper that led to our first goal after 21 minutes. A free kick into the box from Lewis Doherty swirled in the wind and confused the keeper who could only parry into the feet of Kev Taylor to slot home from close range.

AFC went into half time deserving the 1-0 advantaged and this was doubled early in the second half after an excellent corner from Lewis Doherty was smash home from Kev Taylor inside the 6 yard box.

AFC continued to push forward for the third goal and there was a golden opportunity for Kev Taylor to complete his hat trick as he raced away from the defence and had a 1 on 1 with the keeper but failed to score.

A goal against the run of play by Kent’s with 10 minutes remaining left an uncomfortable few minutes but AFC held on for a well earned victory although acknowledging it was not their best performance of the season.

Team: Fisher, Scott, Howorth, Kinloch, Cook, Doherty, Lawlor, Harnaman, Taylor, Wilson, Maggott.

Subs used: Hutchings L. Cooper. Brogan.

Goalscorer: Taylor (2)


Saturday 16 February 2008

AFC Dunstable 6 Ampthill 1

The lads were keen to get back to winning ways after the back to back cup defeats over the past week.

Despite losing several players due to injury / forced absence, the starting eleven looked keen to get back to playing attractive attacking football. However it was man of the match, Michael Kinloch who opened the scoring after 20 minutes when he picked up the ball some 40 yards out, saw the keeper on the edge of his box and proceeded to lob him perfectly.

The boys continued to push forward and were unlucky when Aaron Wilson finished off a slick move only to hit the post with the keeper stranded. However he made amends just before half time, when a well taken free kick was flighted by Kieran Mallett to the far post for Aaron to control and shoot past the advancing keeper. The team deserved the 2-0 half time lead.

The second half continued very much in line with the first half and it was no surprise when Richard Maggott was on hand to finish another quality move from AFC. However we did not have it all our own way, as a defensive slip from our ever reliable captain allowed their centre forward a clear run on goal to pull one back.

The goal seemed to perk up AFC and a very positive piece of play down the right resulted in debut boy Reese Brogan scoring from close range.

Sadly with 10 minutes remaining, the referee choose to punish Steve Howorth for something that was said and we were down to 10 men. However this was the catalyst as the appearance of Dale Hutchings fed extra life into the tiring limbs and two goals in the final minutes from Kev Taylor and Tom Lawlor (his first goal for the reserves) rounded off a well deserved victory.

Team: Bacon, Hewitt, O'Brien, Kinloch, Mallett, Doherty, Lawlor, Howorth, Taylor, Wilson, Maggott.

Subs used: Brogan. Hutchings D.

Scorers: Kinloch. Wilson. Maggott. Brogan. Taylor. Lawlor.


Wednesday 13 February 2008

Hertford Town 3 AFC Dunstable 0 (Q/F Reserve Cup)

The lads played with real grit and determination at a rather foggy Hertford ground.

The opening quarter of an hour saw very little difference between the two sides. In fact AFC looked to settle the quicker and playing good passing football.

Then after 20 minutes and slightly against the run of play, the referee awarded and harsh free kick against Steve Howorth when it looked like it was the defender backing in. Paz made a fantastic save from the free kick but the ball rebounded to a Hertford forward who crossed to the far post and a looping header to the top of the goal gave Paz no chance and Hertford to the lead.

AFC continue to push forward and created a couple of reasonable chances through Aaron Wilson and Lewis Doherty. Then after 30 minutes, a Hertford player was allowed to run 20 yards unchallenged into our box and a missed timed tackle saw the player fall to the ground and a penalty awarded. The penalty was well struck and gave our keeper no chance.

Turning around, AFC looked to get back into the game and following a great cross from Jon Cook, it was Aaron Wilson whose bullet point header was excellently saved by the Hertford keeper. Other goal scoring chances were not converted despite good pressure by AFC and Hertford broke with 25 minutes remaining to make it 3-0.

AFC continued to play good passing football but unable to convert any of the chances. Overall a good performance against the team leading the Reserve league above ours and showing the squad can compete at the higher level.

Team: Bacon, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, Hutchings J, Jay McGann, Lawlor, Morrissey, Cool, Wilson, Doherty.

Subs used: Taylor. Hannaman. Maggot.


Saturday 9 February 2008

Crawley Green 3 AFC Dunstable 2 (AET)
Quarter Final County Cup

The team with looking to get through a difficult away tie with 5 players cup tied. However the team battled hard in the first half and after a stale mate in the first 30 minutes, the break through came when an excellent free kick was met at the far post by Steve Howorth to head home to make it 1-0.

Looking to go in at half time with a slender lead, things got better when a free kick in our half was taken by Karl Fisher and as their keeper advanced, the ball bounced over him into the net to make it 2-0.

During the second half, AFC continued to battle but were forced into making changes due to injuries. Crawley green eventually pulled one back with 15 minutes to go and scored the equaliser with 5 minutes remaining.

Going into extra time was always going to be tough as with three subs already used we had two players injured and with a lack of match practice over the preceding months it was no surprise that Crawley scored what turned out to be the winner.

The squad are now looking to regroup for the reserve cup 1/4 final on Wednesday.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, Cook, McGann, Hutchings, Lawlor, Scott, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs used: Sanderson. Howorth. Mallett.

Saturday 26 January 2008

Langford 1 AFC Dunstable 2

A tough away fixture welcomed back the reserves after a 5 week break due to the festive season and adverse weather.

The lads travelled in confident mood and started the game well causing the opposition a number of problems during the early exchanges through good work in the midfield by Lewis Hutchings and Tom Lawlor.

However, against the run of play, the home side took the lead after 20 minutes. As AFC pushed forward, the ball was lost on the halfway line and a quick counter attack saw the opposition number 9 advancing towards our goal unchallenged and cooly finishing to make it 1-0.

AFC continued to battle hard and play good passing football on a difficult surface and were unlucky to go in at half time 1 goal down.

The second half saw AFC continue to dominate the game and good work up front, particularly from Aaron Wilson meant it would be only a matter of time before AFC equalised. The goal did come after 60 minutes when a free kick was awarded on the edge of the Langford box and as three AFC players eyed up taking the kick, it was Jon Cook who sent a superb bending strike into the top left hand corner to give the keeper no chance.

Our defence looked solid with Steve Howorth winning most headers and Matt O'Brien marshalling the back four that allowed us to continue to push for the lead. This duly came after half an hour into the second half when some excellent football from the back found Jon Cook advancing down the left and a quick ball into the box found Aaron Wilson to finish off with a flick into the corner of the net.

AFC could not manage a third goal but look confident at not conceding anything further and ran out deserved winners at 2-1.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, Kinloch, Hutchings L, Lawlor, McGann, Cook, Wilson, Taylor.

Subs used: DeRoses. Maggott. Doherty.

Scorers: Cook. Wilson.

Saturday 22 December 2007

AFC Dunstable 5 Hoddesdon Town 2 (Reserve Cup R3)

A tough home draw that saw us against opposition from a higher league.

A forced absence due to a chest infection meant losing Jon Cook to the bench but this allowed the return of Aaron Wilson up front. The management also welcomed Michael Kinloch to the reserves for the first time.

The game started well for AFC and pushing forward up the slope, looked the better side. Then after 10 minutes, Kev Taylor picked up the ball mid way in the opponents half, dribbled past 4 defenders before confidently placing the ball past the keeper to take the lead. Confidence was soaring and AFC doubled their lead after a good corner found Sheehen leaping above everyone to make it 2-0 after 18 minutes.

AFC continued to play good passing football and with confidence Kev Taylor was once again the hero as he struck a 30 yard shot that gave the keeper no chance and AFC were in heaven leading 3-0 with 25 minutes played.

However, the lead appeared to have an adverse effect on AFC who took their foot off the pedal and Hoddesdon Town scored two quick goals to get right back into the game. More problems as Jay McGann was caught by a late tackle and this paved the way for Michael Kinloch to make his debut.

AFC regained their composure and after good work on the right, the ball found its way to Aaron Wilson in the 6 yard box and he calmly headed home to restore our 2 goal advantage going in at half time.

The second half was a little more even, although AFC never looked in danger of conceding a goal as they were excellently marshalled by Matt O'Brien and Steve Howorth at the back. The game was finally settled after 75 minutes following the substition of Lewis Doherty whose pin point corner found Sheehen once again to head home for our fifth goal.

The scoreline was fully deserved and allowed the management to give new boy, Sam Howells, his first appearance of the season. The players now go to an away game at Hertford in the quarter finals in January.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, Howorth, O'Brien, McGann, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Liddon, Taylor, Palmer, Wilson.

Subs used: Kinloch, Doherty & Howells.

Scorers: Liddon (2). Taylor (2). Wilson.

Saturday 15 December 2007

AFC Dunstable 5 Kentish Town 1

After the break of one week without a game, the players were eager to continue their long unbeaten run and avenge the 4-1 defeat at Kentish earlier in the season.

The game started well and AFC forced a number of corners and were unlucky not to go ahead when a Gary Palmer header struck the bar. However a minute later, Steve Howorth stole around at the back post and calmly finished off an excellent cormer from Jon Cook to make it 1-0.

AFC continued to play the passing game but were causing themselves problems by giving the opposition too much time and conceding a number of free kicks. It was a free kick from the edge of our box that saw Kentish equalise will a well struck strike that gave our keeper little chance of stopping.

AFC continued to push forward with Gary Palner and Dan Liddon working hard up front and following a good decision by the referree to play the advantage, Jon Cook put in a defence splitting cross for Kev Taylor to slot home and give us the half time advantage.

Early in the second half, the management made some chances to the team line up and this played dividends as we opened up the Kentish defence. An own goal after a good strike at goal by Dan Liddon followed by a second goal from Kev Taylor after good work by Lewis Hutchings had the game won at 4-1. This allowed the substitutions to be made including birthday boy Lewis Doherty. However it was Aaron Wilson who was first to react to a through ball and cooly rounded the keeper to seal a 5-1 vitory that puts the reserves in 4th place in the league.

Team: Bacon, Hewitt, Howorth, O'Brien, McGann, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Taylor, Cook, Palmer, Liddon.

Subs used: Wilson, Mallett, Doherty.

Goalscorers: Taylor (2). Howorth. Wilson. Own Goal.

Saturday 1 December 2007

AFC Dunstable 6 Southcott Village Ass 1
(Intermediate cup 2nd Round)

An important game for the reserves as they looked to progress into the quarter finals of the county commpetition. The management decided to go for experience on the bench and selected both Dale Hutchings and Steve (Birthday boy) Howorth.

The game was tightly contested in the opening 15 minutes and playing with very windy conditions AFC were looking to pass the ball. However things did not go our way when after a poor back pass by Kieran Mallett, their forward scored at the near post.

The defecit appeared to spur AFC on and with another good performance and excellent work from Tom Lawlor in the middle of the park, AFC started to dominate. Then on the half hour the ball worked its way to Lewis Hutchings on the right who struck a ferocious cross / come shot that the keeper could only parry into his on goal to earn a well deserved equaliser.

Coming up to half time, Aaron Wilson caused havoc in the Southcott defence and an excellent ball across the penalty box saw the advancing Ross Morrissey ram the ball into the back of the net.

Turning around 2-1 up, the lads were becoming more confident especially with Dale Hutchings coming on at half time to boost the defence. A Gary Palmer hat trick in the second half made sure of the game and this allowed the substition of Steve Howorth (senior) to make an appearance on his 51st birthday. His promise to the management that he would reward their faith in him by scoring was delivered with pure skill as he picked up the ball on the edge of the penalty area and cooly struck a banana shot around a deflated goalkeeper.

The final result of 6-1 was a true reflection of the AFC dominace and the management continue to believe the players can take their unbeaten run through to next year.

Team: Fisher, McGann, O'Brien, Howorth, Mallett, Hutchings L, Morrissey, Lawlor, Cook, Wilson, Palmer.

Subs used: Hutchings D. Howorth S (snr).

Scorers: Palmer (3). Hutching L. Morrissey. Howorth S (Snr).

Saturday 24 November 2007

AFC Dunstable 2 Langford 2

Looking for a sixth straight win, the management team kept faith with the starting line up from the previous week.

Winning the toss, AFC Dunstable chose to kick up the hill. The lads did try to play football but could not force a decent chance in the early stages. Langford did look dangerous with the long ball and after 20 minutes took the lead after the centre forward rounded our keeper.

Langford then went on and doubled their lead with a similar goal to the first. Looking at going into the half time break 2 goals down, AFC were thrown a life line with 5 minutes remaining. The Langford keeper made a good save and looking to throw the ball out quickly actually through it into the back of his net.

AFC Dunstable stepped up a gear in the secomd half. Then after twenty minutes, a Langford player was shown the red card for foul & abusive lanquage. AFC continued to press for the equaliser and squandered many chances. However, in the 89th minute, a very good corner was met by Dan Liddon at the far post to head home a well deserved equaliser.

The lads go into next weeks County Cup game with high confidence having now been unbeaten in 6 games.

Team: Fisher, McGann, O'Brien, Cook, Hutchings L, Morrissey, Lawlor, Doherty, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs Used: Palmer.

Scorers: Lidden. Own goal.
Saturday 17 November 2007

AFC Dunstable 2 New Bradwell 1 (Reserve Cup R2)

The management made a decision to retain the starting eleven from the previous week and welcomed the new signing of Sam Howells to the bench.

AFC looked to play good passing football against a strong and physical New Bradwell side who had won 8-0 the previous week. AFC dominated much of the first half and after 25 minutes took a well deserved lead. Good passing football eventually found Lewis Doherty on the left, he played the ball back to the advancing Jon Cook, whose pin point cross found Dan Liddon on the far post to head home.

AFC continued to play excellent football throughout the park but failed to add to the one goal in the first half altough Aaron Wilson hit the post twice. New Bradwell's only game plan was the long through ball which our defence coped admirably and Karl Fisher in goal was rarely troubled.

Turning around 1-0 up at half time, the second half mirrored the first with excellent passing football particularly through the midfield quartet. AFC deservedly doubled their lead mid way through the second half after good work by Aaron Wilson who found Dan Liddon in the six yard box to tap home his second goal of the afternoon. AFC continued to spurn good opportunities and then with 15 minutes remaining New Bradwell had a player sent off for a second yellow card.

Unfortunately the final 10 minutes proved a little nervous as New Bradwell threw caution to the wind and pushed forward and somewaht against the run of play scored what turned out to be a consolation goal.

The managemnt were impressed with the football played but some concern with the missed opportunities. The players are now looking forward to the next round at home to Division one reserve team Hoddesdon Town.

Tean: Fisher, McGann, O'Brien, Howorth, Cook, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Morrissey, Doherty, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs used: Palmer.

Scorers: Lidden (2).
Saturday 10 November 2007

The 61FC 1 AFC Dunstable 6

There were two changes to the previous weeks team that saw the return of Dan Lidden and Lewis Doherty as the reserves travelled to Luton looking for a fourth consecutive win.

The first twenty mnutes saw AFC play the better football but playing against a stiff breeze and some strong determined battling by the opposition, meant the game remained goalless. Jay Mcgann had been switched to his favoured right back position and produced an excellent first half with several strong runs down the flank and quality crosses that we failed to get on the end of.

It was another defender, Steve Howorth who set up our first goal. A defence splitting 50 yard ball found Dan Liddon facing an advancing goalkeeper who he calmy lobbed to make it 1-0. By half time Dan had made it 2-0 after finishing off some fine work and cross by Aaron Wilson.

The second half proved to be much eaiser for AFC as they had the breeze in their favour and The 61FC players tired. After 25 minutes into the second half we found ourselves 6-0 up after Dan Lidden had completed his hat trick, Ross Morrissey drilled in a thunderbolt and excellent finshes from man of the match Jay McGann and Richard Maggott.

Unfortunately the lads lost there shape towards the latter stages of the game and conceded a silly free kick on the edge of our box that the 61FC striker converted well.

Even with the masterly substition of bringing on Dale Hutchings for the last 5 minutes to add pace and flair, the lads could not muster any further goals.

The management returned back to the AFC clubhouse to celebrate their fourth win on the bounce and looking forward to the reserves first home game for 6 months !!!!

Tean: Fisher, McGann, Howorth, O'Brien, Cook, Hutchings L, Morrissey, Lawlor, Doherty, Wilson, Lidden.

Subs Used: Maggott, Palmer, Hutchings D.

Scorers: Lidden (3). McGann. Maggott. Morrissey.

Saturday 3 November 2007

Kent Athletic 0 AFC Dunstable 2

Looking for a third straight away win, the team saw four withdrawals to the recent squad through injuries / holidays. However the strength of the starting line up meant the management were confident going into the game.

The game started positively and AFC controlled much of the early exchanges and were unlucky not to go ahead after a pin point through ball by Lewis Hutchings saw Aaron Wilson thunderbolt strike the up right and rebound to safety. However the opening goal did not take long to come and after a quality dead ball kick by Jon Cook, Steve Howorth was on hand to guide the ball into the net.

AFC took the 1-0 advantage into the second half, but could not force the second goal. Then within a period of 10 minutes, Kent's were awarded two penalities. The first was well saved by Karl Fisher and the second was blasted over the bar by the taker.

AFC continued to push foward and after a late tackle on Aaron Wilson in the penalty box, it was AFC who were awarded a penalty which Ross Morrissey drove home to double our advantage.

The final ten minutes saw our latest signing - Steve Howorth senior make his debut and slightly increase the average age of the team.

This win now puts us 3 points off the top of the league in joint third place.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, McGann, Hutchings L, Morrisey, Lawlor, Cook, Wilson, Maggott.

Subs Used: Taylor. Howorth (Snr).

Goalscorers: Howorth. Morrissey.

Saturday 27 October 2007

Royston Town 0 AFC Dunstable 3

The management travelled to Royston up beat after the excellent cup win the previous week but were forced to make three changes to the team through injuries. In came Tom Lawlor, Paul Bacon and Steve Howorth.

The game started well for AFC with good possession and after a quarter of an hour a fine ball from Lewis Hutchings found Aaron Wilson unmarked at the far post to head home the opening goal. Continued pressure particlarly through the wide midfield play of Lewis Hutchings and Jon Cook created a number of chances which our forwards squandered.

Some positive substitions early in the second half played dividends when Richard Maggott scored our second goal with his first touch and then five minutes later set up Jon cook to score our third.

With the back four playing so well under the leadership of Matt O'Brien, the score line flattered Royston and while the three points were well deserved the margin of victory could have been far greater.

Team: Bacon, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howorth, Mcgann, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Morrissey, Cook, Palmer, Wilson.

Subs Used: Doherty. Taylor. Maggott.

Scorers: Wilson. Maggott. Cook.

Saturday 20 October 2007

Kent Athletic 1 AFC Dunstable 4
(1st Round Beds Intermediate Cup)

A difficult first round away at local rivals proved to be an excellent day. The game was one minute old when on our first attack, Gary Palmer reacted quickly inside the box to drive home our first goal. Things got even better after 5 minutes as Ross Morrssey followed up from a corner and converted from close range to make it 2-0.

AFC continued to play the better football but midway through the first half saw Kents awarded a corner. Their forward got away with a push on our player and headed home from six yards. Not to be put off, AFC continued to dominate with the passing football and on the stroke of half time a six man move resulted in Gary Palmer scoring his second from close range.

In the second half, AFC continued to control the game and Aaron Wilson was unlucky to have a headed goal disallowed for offside. Then with twenty minutes remaining Gary Palmer completed his hat trick by finishing off another good move and beat the goalkeeper at his near post with a well struck drive.

An excellent result that provides us with a home tie in the next round in December.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Scott, McGann, Hutchings L, Morrissey, Lidden, Cook, Wilson, Palmer.

Subs Used: Maggott. Gayle.

Scorers: Palmer (3). Morrissey.


Saturday 13 October 2007

Brache Sparta 2 AFC Dunstable 1

After back to back wins, the reserves were looking to get a positive result at a difficult away fixture. On a very bumpy and uneven pitch, our side started well and created the early chances with Brache being resricted to long range efforts.

Then after a series of corners, Jon Cook put in an excellent ball from which Ross Morissey finsished off from a yard out to take a well deserved lead after 22 minutes. AFC continued to try to play football but often came unstuck by the pitch but looked good at the interval with the 1-0 lead.

Turning around and now kicking down the slope, AFC continued to be positive but were gradually being being forced back as Brache continued to play the long ball. Then after 25 minutes, their number 9 was given time on the edge of the box and he fired in an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net to give Fisher no chance in our goal.

Richard Maggott was sent on with 20 minutes to go and should ahve scored with his opening touch from 6 yards out by his shot just went the wrong side of the post. With AFC Dunstable looking tired and 10 minutes to go, a corner was conceded and with the ball arrinving at the near post, the forward somehow turned the ball into our net to the dismay of the defenders.

AFC continued to push forward in the last few minutes for the equaliser without success and on the balance of a disappointing second half probably did not merit a positive result.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Scott, Cook, Liddon, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Morrissey, Wilson, Palmer.

Subs Used: Maggott. McGann.

Scorer: Morrissey


Saturday 6 October 2007

Caddington 1 AFC Dunstable 3

Looking to build on last weeks success at Ampthill, AFC were forced to make several changes due to players other committmnets. However the management were confident that the team taking the field would be more than capable of success on the field. This proved to be the case as AFC dominated in the centre of the park through the return of Ross Morrissey working well with Tom Lawlor. Finally after sustained pressure Aaron Wilson latched on to a long ball down the right, beat his defender and pulled to ball back to the far post for Kevin Taylor to smash home from a tight angle. While Caddington continued to push forward without troubling our keeper, it was Kevin Taylor who povided the finishing touch to a Gary Palmer effort just before half time to make it 2-0 at the break.

AFC continued to play good football in the second half and the back four remained solid throughout. However, a corner mid way through the half resulted in a Caddington player being left with too much space at the far post to drill home a goal against the run of play. AFC continued to cause problems with Aaron Wilson and Gary Palmer working well together up front. Then with 10 minutes remaining, the 3 points were secured after good work by Aaron Wilson down the left resulted in Kevin Taylor finishing off the move with a great strike just inside the box and a hat trick. A very pleasing days work in terms of the result and the football played.

Team: Fisher, Hutchings L, Scott, O'Brien, McGann, Taylor, Morrissey, Lawlor, Cook, Palmer, Wilson.

Subs Used: Hassan. Levin.

Scorer: Taylor (3).
Saturday 29 September 2007

Ampthill 2 AFC Dunstable 4

A number of changes were made in an attempt to get our season back on track and these proved fruitful as AFC returned to play some excellent football. After a positive first half hour that saw AFC create the better opportunities, it was Ampthill who were awarded a penalty following a Tom Lawlor missed timed tackle but fortunately the Ampthill number 7 blasted the ball high and wide. However 5 minutes later Ampthill took the lead - Callum Scott made a great tackle but then stubbed his foot trying to clear the ball that allowed Ampthill to score against the run of play. However AFC continued to play some excellent football through Daniel Liddon and Tom Lawlor in the middle of the park and these two players set up Gary Palmer to score twice before half time.

AFC continued to dominate after half time and were unlucky not to stretch the lead when Aaron Wilson hit the bar. However a two goal margin was established after 75 minutes when Richard Maggott picked another great through ball and finished off perfectly to make it 3-1. A lack of concerntration by our linesman Lord Cantellow allowed Ampthill to be credited with an offside goal but not to be out done Aaron Wilson scored with a power drive in the dying minutes to make it a comfortable 4 -2 victory.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, Scott, O'Brien, McGann, Maggott, Liddon, Lawlor, Taylor, Palmer, Wilson.

Sub Used: Ward.

Goalscorers: Palner (2). Maggott. Wilson.
Saturday 22 September 2007

Broxbourne Borough 7 AFC Dunstable 0

We travelled to this difficult away game with several late withdrawals from the squad on saturday morning including the loss of Lee Hewitt and Jay Hutchings to the first team. Sadly, this was the worse performance from an AFC Dunstable reserve side for many seasons. The team turned around at half time 4-0 down and to add salt to the wound Lewis Doherty missed a penalty. On the bright side, debutant Aaron Wilson came on at half time and provided good support up front and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. Although an improvement in the second half, the team tired towards the end on a hot afternoon and conceded late goals to end up losing 7-0. A very bad day at the office.

Team: Fisher, Taylor, McGann, O'brien, Mallett, Maggott, Hutchings L, Lawlor, Cook, Palmer, Doherty.

Subs Used: Wilson.
Saturday 15 September 2007

Crawley Green 4 AFC Dunstable 2

Looking to bounce back from our first defeat of the season, AFC could not have got off to a worse start than conceding a goal after 2 minutes as the opposition's number 9 finshed well from a pin point cross. Worse was to follow after 5 minutes as their same player gave our keeper no chance from the edge of the box, hitting high into the corner of the net. AFC regrouped and following a foul on the edge of the Crawley green penalty area, Lewis Doherty stepped up an stroked the ball perfectly around the wall to make it 2-1 after 15 minutes. Good pressure followed and after some good closing down from Gary Palmer and Lewis Doherty, the ball was fed through for Kev Taylor to finsih from close range. Looking to go in level at half time, AFC were guilty of ball watching just before half time that allowed their forward to get his hat trick and for us to go in 3-2 down. A more conrolled second half saw both sides create half chances as the heat took its toll on the players. In the last five minutes, AFC reverted to 3 at the back in search of an equaliser but to no avail and in fact conceded a late goal that left the final result of 4-2. One real positive out of the match was the excellent full debut of Tom Lawlor in the middle of the park.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, O'Brien, Howarth, Latty, McGann, Hutching L, Lawlor, Taylor, Palmer, Doherty.

Subs used: Scott, Cook & Maggott.

Scorers: Doherty. Taylor.
Saturday 8 September 2007

Kentish Town 4 AFC Dunstable 1

A difficult away fixture saw the reserve team forced to make 3 changes at the back due to unavailablity of players after the successful opening game. The match began brightly for AFC but after 25 minutes, a quickly taken free kick by Kentish Town saw their centre forward through one on one with our keeper and he calmly put the ball in the net. AFC continued to play good football in parts and a good move resulted in Lewis Doherty setting up Richard Maggott to strike home from 15 yards. Turning round 1-1 at half time, the team felt confident to go on to get a second straight win but Kentish Town scored immediately after the break and appeared the more determined to win. Kentish Town added two more goals to seal the win albeit they had a player sent off ten minutes from time for head butting one of our players. On the positive side, the sight of the mature Dale Hutchings making his first appearance of the seaon as a late substitute

Team: Bacon, Ward, Scott, McGann, Mallett, Maggott, Hutchings J, Hutchings L, Taylor, Palmer, Doherty.

Subs Used: Lawlor & Hutchings D.

Goal Scorer: Maggott.
Saturday 1 September 2007

Biggleswade United 0 AFC Dunstable 2

On paper, a very difficult opening game of the new season for the reserves. However the management team were confident in the younger players and this paid dividends with both Lee Hewitt and Tom Lawlor have excellent debuts. In the first half playng up the slope, AFC played attractive passing football but could not force the opening goal. The speed and work rate of Richard Maggott and Chris Ward on either side of midfield were a constant threat all afternoon. Turning around 0 - 0 at half time, AFC continued to force the game and after a few useful opportunities that were spurned, it was left to Lewis Doherty to chase through a pin point pass to beat the goalkeeper and slot home the first goal. Two substitions mid way through the second half saw Jon Cook and Tom Lawlor settle in well. With 5 minutes remaining Jon Cook was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and then got up to score direct from the kick. The final score of 2 - 0 was thoughly desrved and leaves the reserves top of their league albeit with 23 games remaining.

Team: Fisher, Hewitt, Mallett, Scott, O'Brien, Maggott, Hutchings L, Hutchings J, Ward, Palmer, Doherty.

Subs used: Cook, Lawlor. Not used: Ireson, Bacon.

Goalscorers: Doherty, Cook.

Text-only version of this page  |  Edit this page  |  Manage website  |  Website design: